Making other homeschooled friends is important. After all, the other neighborhood (traditionally schooled) kids are busy at school and doing homework. Your child (and you) need others to hang out with every now and then. We have made some great friends homeschooling. We go to the park, fieldtrips, have book clubs, and lots of other things with our homeschooled friends. There are a lot of great groups out there but please take some advice: check groups carefully. There are some great ones out there and since there are so many, you can afford to be picky. Just like a great curriculum takes time to find, so does a great group. Groups are formed on the basis of religion, philosophies, neighborhoods, and many other things. You need to find one (or two or three) that meet your needs. One of my groups is on the opposite end of town from me. It still works out for us though because my boys have made some great friends and they are very active. We belong to another group because it is close to home. We belong to our favorite group because we love the people and it supports our philosphy of homeschooling. Each group fills a certain need. Three groups is a lot. I would not suggest joining that many to start with!
To find a group for you go to Yahoo Groups. It seems like every area group I know of uses this system. Here is a list and the group description of the ones that I know of. Goodness knows, I am not a member of all of them but at city wide homeschool events you get a sense of who is out there. Groups provide support. activities, information and friends. Here are some examples that are common group activities: park days. fieldtrips. classes. bowling, skating, PE days. flag football, robotics, drama, crafts, and you get the idea!
The descriptions are copied straight from their page to make it easier for you:
- Henderson Homeschoolers- I started this group. :) This is an inclusive group for the Henderson area. There are currently close to 60 families participating.
- Las Vegas Life Learners is a support group for "Unschoolers" in Las Vegas, Nevada and its surrounding communities.
- Homeschool Connections Las Vegas-If you Homeschool in or around the Central, West, North or Northwest Las Vegas area and are looking for a great way to connect with families, have a lot of fun, get great support, make friends for you and your children then check us out.
- Welcome to Friends! We are a Christian led homeschool support group. We are based in Henderson but stretch out across the valley.
- Las Vegas Special Needs Homeschool Activities Group is a homeschool group open to all families of children with special needs.
- Las Vegas HomeSchool PlayGroup & Support-This group is designed specifically for homeschooling support and gatherings of younger elementary age students and parents/teachers.
Mountains Edge Homeschoolers:
Description: A fun friendly, homeschool group for those of us living joyfully in Southwest Las Vegas.Each family presently in the group is a Christian family, but that is not a requirement, and to be fair, we really are non judgmental kinda Christians, and some pretty cool, fun folks to be around. We are very respectful of each other even though our methods of homeschooling and parenting are diverse among us. All are welcome regardless of location in the valley or religious or non religious beliefs, however our gatherings happen in the Southwest side of town.
contact person: Melissa: firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: A newly formed sister spin off group of Mountains Edge Homeschoolers, geared specifically toward the older age range of homeschooled kids who are looking to connect to form friendships with other teenagers in Las Vegas. You do not need to be a part of Mountains Edge Homeschoolers to take part.
For more information please visit our website: http://mountainsedgehomeschoolers.yolasite.com/teen-connect.php
In addition to the groups there are city wide homeschool events planned each month. Here is the information. These days are open to any homeschooler in the Valley and it is a great way to meet people and see what groups fit your needs.